Natural Hair Routine and Staple Products
As requested, I’m sharing with you my hair routine and staple products.
Maintaining and growing your natural hair can be an emotional journey filled with lots of frustrations.
You read great reviews about a product and decide to buy it only to find out that it doesn’t work for you–The struggle is real I tell ya!! Natural hair journey involves try and error until you find products that work for you.
These are the products that work for me, some might work for you but some might not.
You just have to try it to know.
- I co-wash my hair every weekend using either Fructis triple conditioner or TRESemme naturals conditioner.
- I shampoo every two weeks with motions lavish conditioning shampoo. On the day I shampoo, I first do a Pre-poo (pre-shampoo treatment) using coconut oil for 30 minutes.
- To reduce hair breakage, I do a warm coffee rinse once a week. I have low porosity hair so doing a hot coffee rinse opens up my hair shaft which absorbs all the good stuff for a stronger healthy hair.
- Deep condition my hair with Argan oil intense deep conditioning hair treatment every week for a maximum of an hour. Apply Giovanni direct leave- in conditioner, hair fertilizer by ORS with a mixture of oils –castor, coconut, and olive oil.
- I clarify my hair with apple cider vinegar once a month or depending on how much product build up I have in my hair.
- I do a home made yoghurt protein treatment once a month.
At night, I moisturise with olive oil moisturising growth lotion, seal with oil and twist my hair. Then cover with silk or satin scarf. I avoid combing my hair frequently and only detangle with a wide tooth comb on wash day. When co-washing, I lightly detangle with my fingers. Smooth edges– I use African gold curl activator gel, to be honest this is not the best product as it leaves a white flaky residue when it is dry. I apply a little Organix Coconut Milk split ends mender to my ends after my undo my twist.
Right now I only two strand twist and flat twist. Before I do a two strand twist, I apply Dark and lovely Au natural super softening hair butter. I then apply aussie hair insurance leave-in conditioner followed by a mixture of coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil. My twist out are freaking awesome the next morning. On days that I feel like my hair is dry, I moisturize with a mixture of glycerine and rose water and then I do a two strand twist. It brings back the moisture instantly.
Hope this post was helpful, would love to know about your hair routine.
I might learn a thing or two.